Thursday 26 April 2012

Image Makers, Image Takers.




2 month ago I bought the book “Image Makers, Image Takers”, and so far it was one of the best investments that I’ve done this year. It is written by Anne-Celine Jaeger, a journalist and critic, who has written for a lot famous publications including The Times, The Guardian, Wallpapers and many other. I can honestly say that it is an exceptional book with incredible resources. It consists of interview of those who make pictures (famous photographers like William Eggleston, David Sims, Martin Parr, Marrio Sorenti and a lot of other famous photographers) and it also consist of interview of those who take pictures (curators and gallerists, agency directors, editors and publishers…). Through the interviews of famous photographers published in this book, I can see what motivates and inspires them, how they edit their pictures and what makes them succeed. It tells how the world’s leading photographers from the fields of art, documentary, fashion and portraiture actually work and it reveals, what it is that editors, publishers, curators are looking for when they choose an image.
I like that in every interview Anne-Celine Jaeger asks photographers what motivated them to take a certain image, where do they get their inspiration and how they shoot on the assignments. I found the answers being very useful, especially for me, who studies photography. But my favorite bit, is when she asks to give advice to a budding photographer, which is very helpful. I think this book is a perfect inspiration for everyone who has an interest in photography and who wants to get ahead…essential.   




---------------------------

Jaeger, A. (2007). Image Makers, Image Takers. London: Thames & Hudson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment